Friday, August 05, 2005

My Personal Taste in Art

All my life my family has had games, card games, board games, word games (esp. Scrabble) etc. One of the games I had was called Masterpiece which was based on great works of Art. That was my first exposure to some of the art I saw on the cards in that box. My next great experience with art was with my own masterpiece. I was in Third grade and we were creating watercolor masterpieces. My picture, which was of a sunrise over the mountains and showing the shadows was displayed in the Principal's office for a time. Now, considering that was the year my parents moved me from one school to another, the watercolor was the highlight of the year.
When I started college I took a design class, it kicked my butt. I did a great grid work of a girl in my mom's highschool yearbook that was laying back with her face upside down and her hair flowing down toward the bottom of the page. I sent it to my highschool sweetheart who had always commented on my artistic ability, so I never say it again. I took life drawing classes and I sucked at it. Plus, the nude male model was not attractive and I didn't enjoy staring at him for hours.
When I returned to college after my second child was born, I took an Art History class. There I learned I was intrigued by almost all art I was introduced to.
The earliest Cave paintings
Cathedral Rose windows and flying buttresses
Egyptial art and esp. Queen Neffertiti (when I took jewelry making, I made a pendant of her, and I loved it for the longest time, then it disappeared)
and the rest in no particular order
Impressionists- Manet, Monet, Van Gogh,
Toulouse Lautrec
Gaugin
Pollock
M.C. Escher
Frida
Rodin (esp. Le Baiser and La Danaide)
Georgia O'Keefe
Cezanne'
Pissaro
Picasso (although some not much, others greatly)
and I am sure I have left more out than I have included.

I tend to look for local artists whose work I like to hope that perhaps one I purchase might become as famous as Van Gogh's Sunflowers...

I never did find my way in painting, I am too much of a perfectionist. I tell my students less is more all the time, and yet, when it is me, I can't leave it alone if I don't think it is perfect.

I have found my way in Weaving. I am a weaver but haven't done much in the last 15 years, due to children. I still have my loom and will start back with it when I am no longer playing MOM all the time.

I tend to buy hand thrown pottery, hand blown glass, and stained glass if I am going to buy a piece of art. I like my art to be functional. I don't like dust collectors, so I try to keep those at a minimum.

1 comment:

Sara said...

lovely thoughts~ Your interview questions are in my comment area- can't wait to hear your answers :)