Thursday, August 04, 2005

Murphy's Law Strikes Again Part II

I was out of town all summer. My 18 year old was holding down the fort. Nearly every day I called him and asked about the mail. If there were bills, he told me what they were while I pulled up bill pay on the computer and I paid them.

Oh yea, my cell phone carrier doesn't send me a paper bill or an email notice, I have to look at the site... and guess what, I forgot to do that until I got a text message from them on my phone monday. I promptly sat down, pulled up bill pay and whipped out over 200 dollars to cover the late bill and the one for this month that isn't due til the 23rd.

This morning, I try to call Amused Muse to see when she is meeting me to help with the design of my new work space. I get the operator for the cell phone company (it's late, the correct verbage is not with me, oh think talk like Yoda I will), who is in India and doesn't have full command of the english language and is hard for me to follow in my southern drawl hearing. I explain I paid the bill via internet bill pay on monday, it should post soon. She says it hasn't and I can pay a payment of 60 dollars and they will restore service. Whoa, hold your horses there missy (that is for Alex, he thinks all Texans talk that way), I do not have an addition 60 bucks to shell out just so I can rack up daytime minutes today.
No thanks I reply, I will wait until you receive payment and restore my service.
Then she has the nerve to ask me if I had good service... now you all know I don't think there is any good service left in the world.
I ranted about wanting to talk to an American, in America not to someone in India about my business in Texas because I will use slang terms she will not understand, I have to ask her to repeat herself several times because of the cadence of her speech and I don't appreciate the company doing outsource work so that they can pay them a pitance of what they would have to pay an American.... blah blah blah, and hung up.

Of course, I know instantly that the only time my mom will try to call this week is today, since I now have no phone service.
(she called me at 10:30 tonight, and yes, she had called, and she was pissed, (she has never missed a payment on anything in her entire life) and I had to hear about it, like a 10 year old.
I also knew that my 18 year old, who has the second phone on the service would be having a coniption fit and would not know how to get in contact with me all day... oh well, at least I will have a quiet day and I have a phone in my work space to use for Amused Muse and RJ.

Periodically, more out of curiousity than anything, I would pick up the phone and hit redial to see if I would get Amused Muse or the operator. Twice I tried it, once after 8 pm when childman and I were going into the bookstore, and it was the operator everytime.
When we leave the bookstore and start driving home, my phone starts ringing, it is a girlfriend, who I haven't talked to in weeks. I asked her if this was the first time she had called, and she said yes. I asked if the phone just rang normally and with a "what the hell" voice she said yes, it rang 3 times.... oh ok, I tell her the story, we chat awhile, and then I say I have to go, we are home, I need to call older sibling to see if he paid the 60 bucks.
I call my oldest son, and his first words were, You got the phone working... hmmm I guess they got the payment... and now my mother will definitely have called, since the phone was out of service for less than 12 hours and she doesn't call but about once a week.

Yeah, I am still her screwed up daughter who can never be as good as she was.... but I think I am having more fun and not as uptight...

Murphy, please leave me alone I have a hard enough time with the law of gravity...

2 comments:

Sara said...

been there, done that and had the talk given to me as well. nice blog :)

Bennu said...

yes, safety in numbers, I am glad I am not the lone ranger with this one. Thanks for stopping by Slinky.