Friday, July 22, 2005

What's in a name?

Alex's post about friends living in Holliday in Florida made me think... yeah, I do that sometimes....

I have moved around much too much in my life, at least much more than I wanted to, and I know that there will be more new addresses in my future.

I don't know if other folks do this, but when I start researching areas for a new home, I pay as much attention to the name of the street as I do the floor plan and sturdiness/cleanliness of the future abode.

There's a town in the Texas Panhandle called Happy, and the town's motto is The Town Without a Frown. It is a small farming community not far from where my mom now resides. It always seemed a great place to be, although, I know it was simply what the name implied, I never spent much time there to get any other opinion formed.

Then there is Silverton, Tx, named just as the infamous town in Colorado. I lived there for a few years and could have easily changed the name to Stepford. The town's motto was Live the Dream, which if you read the Savage Chicken cartoons, look up the cartoon they have with the same name and you will get the idea.

My favorite abode was in Rockport Texas. Near the water, the coast, I love it, it does so much for my state of mind that I can't imagine not being near water ever again (a large swimming pool might suffice, I just don't know yet). Rockport is next to several small communites, similar to it, Fulton and another area called Holiday Beach... now that sounds like my kind of place, on the Texas coast... drove out there and found that it was a nice area but I never found the beach, even though it was suppose to be right on the bay.

My latest residence, not including my summer digs, is located on a street named Hillcrest, which is the same name of the street where my mom lives. The house numbers are not the same, but they are not far off. It is a similar neighborhood type as well, which is funny, considering her house is over 500 miles from mine. It gets tricky when you are stressed or tired and someone asks for your address (business reasons), or when I am mailing something to my mom...

My summer digs are in Galveston, although I head home next week, after traveling to get my 16 year old son from his dad. My victorian downstairs apt. is on Avenue M 1/2. There is a half street for several of the Alpha Avenues. Now folks, it is an island, why would it be so hard to think of alpha named streets after you ran out of the first 26 letters? Guess half letters worked for the city. Downtown there is a Market Street, as many towns have, and a Post Office Street, which I am sure at one time were the streets the Market and the Post Office, respectively, were on.

I can't think of them right now, probably due to deliberate blocking, but there have been several street names I have come across that made me wonder "who would want to live on a street named THAT?" I am sure you can think of some, so let me know what they were, so we can both have a laugh. ...

11 comments:

Bennu said...

You are asking about annabananasissboomba and not about Bennu? lol... I tried to enter Bennu, and it had already be "taken" so I tried about 4 other alias's with the same result, having to re-enter my password each time, twice for safety's sake... got a little peeved and chose anna banana... which is a song using people's names, made famous by Tom Hanks in The Money Pit when he falls through the floor and is trapped because the rug was underneath him. He passed time waiting for a rescue singing Anna Banana fee fi fo fanna Anna, then moving to another name, Alex BoBalex, fee fi fo Falax, Alex. The siss boom ba was out of "HA! TAKE THAT... TELL ME THAT NAME HAS BEEN CHOSEN" frustration... now was the truth as good as your wondering or would it have been better to feel the intrigue?

Bennu said...

so tell me why you think I would use the moniker of Bennu... alextrex...

Bennu said...

Are you THAT lazy? If you google it, it will be quite obvious, but if you have trouble I will explain further. So how did you choose Alextrex? Are you really that linear?

Bennu said...

you really crack me up Alex... uh, umm.. I was referring to your thinking... some people of the male persuasion, who use their real names in posts, and I have known many, esp. in Geocaching, one of my hobbies, tend to be linear thinkers, it is probably, due to the ones I do know, one of the highest compliments I could give. I have high opinions of the ones I know, I just think they are more clever than to use their real names in their monikers.

Bennu said...

and the therapist in me asks.... do you act on those kinky ideas? lol, it is too late or I wouldn't ask such questions...

yeah, I wasn't sure about the trex part, but I like the electric story. I like hearing kids try to say aluminum and spaghetti, now I will have to see if they can say electric.

Bennu said...

Kudos to your mom if she did make all of you think you were the geniuses of the family and to keep it to yourself... you know there is the self-fulfilling prophecy... but just for the record, if I thought you weren't clever I wouldn't bother reading your blogs... the cleverness of the other's postings is the whip cream on the Chai Tea Latte Frappucino (your blog)

Bennu said...

Going Seattle... huh?

I am not a coffee drinker. I must admit that when others went to Starbucks, I would order whatever I could find that had as little coffee taste as possible or I tried to cover it up with extra chocolate syrup or cream.

Finally, the last guy I dated for any amount of time, suggested I try Chai Tea. Now when I need a boost or a "pick me up" I swing by and get a Chai Tea Latte, but not in the summertime. In the summer time they make it like a slurpee, only a grown up one and call it a Frappucino.

I don't like standing in line and trying to remember that the medium is a Grande and a large is a Vente. In my mind, Grande is large, so I have to forget other associations with "large" and "medium" and let's don't even discuss small...

There is a drive thru Starbucks on my way to work, and about once a month I stop and get a pick me up on the way to work. Usually when I want to stay home and had to force myself to go to work.

My binky for the morning, if you will.

Bennu said...

Oh my, (she said as she wiped a tear from her eye due to laughing outburst) you crack me up... Let's see... could that scenario be considered... oh nevermind, it was so good I couldn't mess it up.

Yes, they invented Starbucks for folks like you...

My son says that he knows things aren't going to go well when I call him and I start the sentence with So...

So, I can relate.

Maybe now, if you are in one place long enough, you can conquer that fear.

So.... Did you look up Bennu yet?


hee hee hee hee hee hee

Bennu said...

Alex,

In the bar at the top of your screen titled Address, type in www.google.com, when the page comes up, there is a search bar, type in Bennu, when the links page appears, look at one or two, that are related and look like they will tell you quickly what it means... but only if you really want to know. If you don't, then don't bother... lol

Bennu said...

yes, it is... and now you have done the homework for anyone else who reads this post and doesn't know it.

Bennu said...

Extra Credit? of course, I have this 5 dollar gift certificate from Sony, just for you... lol