Thursday, July 28, 2005

I wanted to surprise you

I have been at the beach for several weeks. The time has come to return to the real world. While at the beach, I started working on a tan. Now, keep in mind I have not had a "summer" to get a tan in over 10 years. I have worked right through every summer, and with no vacations to speak of. So, my dermatologist *was* very proud of me. Getting a tan is not what it used to be. My skin has done really strange things, and I don't quite have the tan I was hoping for...

So... *just for Alex*

I was planning on sitting out in the sun while I am in the dry west texas air. My mom has a huge backyard with a pond and trees and grass. She has been talking about getting a sprinkler system put in, but I wasn't sure when Leo (friend and handyman) was going to get it done.
I have been asking about it all summer when I call her (like a good daughter should) only to get the "oh, I don't know when he is going to get to it, he is so busy with his other jobs".

LSS: I drive up after a long flying trip to find the front yard is all dirt. I come in, look out the back window and the backyard by the pond has a great stone patio layed in with crushed granite, and the other side of the yard is .... oh wait... who is that? Leo's helper? what is he doing? moving the stuff from that side of the yard so they can dig it up... WHILE I AM HERE?

so much for sunbathing before I go back home to the grind...

Ya, when did Leo start on the yard?

I don't know, a long time ago...

Ya, how long is a long time? I have been asking about this for weeks now and you have said they hadn't started...

It was a long time ago, I didn't tell you because

I WANTED TO SURPRISE YOU, but it isn't finished, so you had to see the mess it is before it is done.

yeah, I was surprised... surprised to find I will have to get dressed as soon as I get up every morning because there are strange men in the backyard (which normally wouldn't deter me from frolicking around in my nightie, but these guys are early 20's, so ...) and now I can't lay out in the sun today and tomorrow as I had planned.

Now, what am I going to do all day?

Oh yeah, write papers... thanks for the reminder...

Oh I know how I will cheer myself up, I will look up Savage Chickens...

Have a great day, and a diet coke is always a good way to start! Cheers!

2 comments:

Bennu said...

I might like to see them in next to nothing, but I don't believe they would feel the same, and Leo is the one I would want out of the bunch, but he is married and recently became a dad (ok, not so recently as I did hear about the birthday party, so it was a year ago). I like him because he is smart, witty, a quick thinker, funny and he likes my mom and keeps an eye on her when I am not here. Three years ago when she had pneumonia, he came to see her every day for 2 weeks in the hospital, and when I had to leave to return to my job, he made sure she got home and settled in. What a guy... too bad he is 20 years younger than me... you know less than 10 years isn't a biggie, but over 10 years is too much...

Bennu said...

well let's see, I would go up 14 years, but not down more than 10, so that is a range from

32-56 and I have trouble getting dates? lol, well that's cuz the only ones considering 42 year old women are over 50... lol