Thursday, July 21, 2005

Just another day at the beach

It never ceases to amaze me that everytime I go to the beach it is different. Some things never change of course, there is always sand, which is my least favorite part, there is always salt in the water, and rarely do I not see a flying rat (seagull). Today, as depressed as I am, I made myself get out and go to the beach. Now, it shouldn't have been a chore for me to get the gall to go, but it was. Once I was there, in my usual private beach area (well, it is in my mind, which is all that counts), things were great. Hurricane Dennis made landfall in Northern Mexico, but we had effects here due to him. It rained for two days off and on, and the waves were two feet higher than usual. Upon my arrival to "my" beach I noticed that the piles of sand that have been scooped up by the city all summer due to the seaweed were diminished considerably. The sand was wet all the way up to the stairs leading from the beach to the seawall (that's right folks, we have a seawall, it is awesome, and the reason is the Hurricane of 1900, look it up). I chose my regular spot and got comfy. It was about 4 pm, but hey then I won't get too pink, but will get some sun.After reading, napping, and people gazing, I took a stroll down the beach. Of course there is still a bunch of seaweed on the beach and in the water, but I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't as much debris as there is sometimes after a hurricane or tropical storm, althought there was some. I also found a plethora of shells, not just the tiny shells I usually find on the Texas coasts, but much larger, some with a diameter of 3-4 inches. I walked all the way down the water line from one jetty to the next, which is usually impassable, due to water and rocks piled along the seawall. On my way back, with two hands full of seashells, I saw this adonis walking toward me, I tried to keep my eyes on the sand as the water rushed in over my feet and then back out, but he was a looker to say the least. When we passed each other I said hello and noticed he smiled and said hello. I figured he was about 5-10 years younger than me. Which doesn't bother me at all. He reciprocated and said hello, and we went our merry separate ways. Once I reached my abode on the beach, I turned to see if he had turned around or if he was still walking down the beach... he was no where to be seen... then I wondered, was he a figment of my schizo mind, or had I really seen him. I have watched a couple of shows about people who had "invisible" friends due to mental illness. NAH... he just went up the next set of stairs or had walked so far I couldn't see him... bummer, each day at the beach is a new one, and some things you see, you may never see again, and some will be there everytime you go. I am going again tomorrow, maybe he will be there then... NAH... but hey, it will get me there, and then I will be well again...

No comments: