Sunday, September 18, 2005

Collateral

Yesterday I watched Collateral, the movie, for the first time. I love the first scenes where Jamie Lee Fox picks up the attorney at the airport and they flirt and he gives her his "vacation" that he takes several times a day. It is the best scene in the whole movie for me, although I did think the entire movie was great. My favorite part was where he was sitting there, shaking his head after she got out of the cab. It was like he was saying "There was your chance, you idiot, and you just let it walk away".

I try to take advantage of the chances that do come my way, even when they aren't like the one depicted in this scene, but it isn't always possible.

Here is one I am still kicking myself over.

Last week sometime, we found out at work that one of our cohorts (another K teacher) may not be with us all year. Her mother has lupus and it is advancing quickly. So that evening I dropped by the local grocery store in my small town. I needed groceries but I also wanted to get something for her. I went to the floral area (yes, we sell flowers at the grocery store) and was looking at what was in the refrigerated case. I was looking for something pink.... you know, pink lights etc.... anyway, there was a gorgeous, very small, tightly gathered bunch of pale pale pink roses so I looked at them first. Then I put them back and was going to look a little more. Then out of the corner of my eye, some small, miniature rose plants caught my eye. I turned toward them, and this guy, out of nowhere nearly walked right over me. He said hi and I said hi and we both smiled, then we both put our heads down and walked away. I got the mini rose plant (pink of course) and he started to look at a bouquet but then walked away.

I checked out at the counter a little later, and I saw him with two bottles of wine and a dozen roses in a vase...

so yeah, timing sucks doesn't it? lol, but it was a moment I will remember for quite a while...

And I will be shopping at that store more often, just in case the timing gets better...

4 comments:

Bennu said...

yes

it is the one as Tom Cruise as an assassin, so the opening scenes were not anything I expected... you should watch it, it is more about people and relationships in so many ways.

d.K. said...

Hi Bennu,
Did our friend ever restart a blog after returning from Europe? I know what a nightmare trolls can be, but I hope he won't let that discourage him. I enjoyed his blog, so maybe he's just taking a break. (I have the new blog, but I notice nothing has been posted to it). Anyway, just thought I'd check with you without mentioning names, etc.
Hope you had a great weekend!
dK

d.K. said...

Bennu,
Disregard my comment of a few seconds ago. Your comments section answered my question - I should have read them first. LOL.

Bennu said...

SG,

I haven't seen the constant gardener, but I have seen Garden State... it is fabuloso, you should see it.

I am not a Tom Cruise fan, as previously discussed, but this role is a very different one for him. I forgot it was him...

He is a very short man, and I noticed how hard they worked to keep Jamie Fox from standing beside him, since he is pretty tall... the way they did the standing shots was really interesting...

d.K.,

hmmm you miss mr. T but you don't say much to me... hmmmm

guess I am not as entertaining...:(

just teasing, glad you come by, I read your blog often, but I don't post, due to feeling "inferior" to you inform-ed-ness...lol... but I do learn from you... thanks