Saturday, September 24, 2005

Chemistry, Camping, and Making a Fool of Myself

Once upon a time there was a lonely woman who was wooed (this would be great for teaching the letter W) by a wonderful man who is great with words. Yes, boys and girls, we have discussed him before and we will discuss him again. He is one of the measuring sticks I use to see if other men measure up.

I have joined an online dating service... against my better judgement but at the urging of some others in my life. It astounds me at how many of the men on the service who, in a very short time, have asked me if I feel like chemistry is important and if I think I should feel it on a first date, or upon meeting...

Well, yeah, you idiots, it helps doesn't it? Esp. at the beginning... because that is what makes you interested in someone you meet on the street, or in a bar, or at a gathering.... other than online dating services... and if it is a "by chance" meeting, not someone you see on a regular basis at work or something, instant chemistry works great.

With Mr. Waterworks (Happy Birthday, if you are reading), he has a presence in a room and I think the effect is consistently felt by all around him. He lights up a room... but then again, it might be that I light up when I see him, even if I am pissed at him (only happened once and then I felt bad about it). I am a giddy fool around him and do foolish things in order to try to stay in touch. Of course I don't make a fool out of myself often, just when I have been drinking (booty emails) and on the full moons... that is just once a month...

Chemistry makes it difficult to let those feelings go... you want to rekindle them and feel them again, because in that person's presence, you felt that way the entire time around them. It was stronger with Mr. H2O more than any other in recent years. The fact he doesn't like the word "good bye" makes it even harder. I think I could let it go completely if he just told me to.

The best camping trip I ever had, and I have been camping over a hundred times, was with him. The hiking, the drinking, the swimming, the cooking... esp. breakfast cooked as the sun came up, the music, the trip into town for ice cream to go with the cake, getting lost on the hike, getting rained on after grocery shopping, the lovemaking, the portable fan in the tent, the rose petals, the "cooler", and all other surprises, the tattoo applying (temporary dragon tattoo), all of it... I was on cloud nine the entire time.

All I can say, my friend, is I don't know when chemistry fades, and I will always remember... Not enough time, not enough wine, and not enough YOU> I miss you and when people ask me if chemistry is important, I want to say....It is dire.... and when it isn't there? well, I don't understand why it isn't there sometimes, but I can't conjur it up either.... even when I wish I could...

3 comments:

Bennu said...

My marriage was to my best friend, and boy do I miss that friendship... the passion was gone for a long time, and there may not have been a great deal of chemistry to begin with. It is a long story, but I would prefer the weekend with Mr. Waterworks, with the chemistry and passion to the the ten years of friendship.

I like the sparks, what can I say.

Plus, Alex, through your thorough list of "have to agree" items for a relationship, you have made it possible for me to decide what is most important and what I can and cannot stand to have in my next relationship. I think in the past I had the idea that I can make anything work.

I still believe that if two strangers are thrown together, and they each are the total opposite of what the other is looking for, that eventually, due to circumstances, they will fall in love and make it work.

My point? it doesn't mean there will be sparks, but any two people can make a life together if they want to, really want to.

I want the chemistry and passion. I am willing to wait for it. I no longer get upset when i get the brush off from a guy. I understand. Not a problem. The guy that I am suppose to "spark" with will be here sometime in the future.... and he will be a friend too... I want the whole package... I know that sounds greedy but I am worth it, and he is worth the wait.

Bennu said...

there has to be passion for friendship for your SO to be your best friend and vice versa. Friendship is important, but passion in my view, is about life, and those in yours, not just physical expression of passion. I think the chemistry makes friendship easier.

Anonymous said...

Oh yikes
I meant to say that we could make a game out of these crazy word verification.

oinpphfc

oiling in nine places puts hairy farthogs cold

of course it doesn't make sense. gimme another one