Sunday, March 26, 2006

Reframing It!

This week was almost like another spring break in many ways and in others it was a very hard week. Tues, Wed and Thurs I was attending a workshop that our school sends everyone to, called Capturing Kids Hearts. It was difficult because some of the activities were very "intrusive" into my life and I had to think about how I wanted to respond without giving too much away.
One of the strategies they teach you is to reframe something you might usually talk about in the negative and state it in the positive. So here goes:

My son is alive, he was not hurt mamed or killed. He called ME< when it happened, not his dad or his Ya (my mom), which is a big deal to me that he would turn to me.

He did total the car in Seattle after being there less than a week. It was his fault. He was freaking out and I calmed him down.

He is still there, he is still going to try to stay there and make a go of it. He is trying to find a job and a place to live close to the university so that he can do without a car for awhile. He is brave, strong and makes his decisions for himself.

He makes me feel like I did a good job of raising him and he is making me proud.

2 comments:

Le laquet said...

That's a very hard thing to do, always looking for / focusing on the positive when sometimes the situation is so negative that it scares the shit out of you! Especially if you are a "glass 1/2 empty" kinda girl ~ this accusation has been levelled at me more than once!

Well done, you should be proud of him and yourself!

mrhaney said...

i know how you feel. my grown son came over to my house last saturday and helped me work on my house. he was working good and hard on it and he made me proud also.