Saturday, March 11, 2006

Catalyst, or I don't want to be the Queen...

The first teaching job I ever had was in a very small (less than 1oo students k-12) country school. The teachers there were just biding their time. They thought the students couldn't learn because they were hispanic and poor. I still teach in similar makeup schools, but in a much larger district, but I digress.
My principal, who is still one of my favorite people of all time, told me I was a catalyst for change. I rocked the boat, I wanted the children to learn, not just hang out. He was a very wise man, he also told me that I would be a catalyst no matter where I worked.

No Wonder....

Anyway, one of my all time favorite songs is Meet Virginia by Train, and my favorite line is "She pulls her hair back as she screams "I don't really want to be the queen".

I don't want to be the catalyst, but that is my lot in life (do you know where the term "my lot in life" came from? I do, but started to say it to my students the other day, and knew I would have to explain it, and I didn't think it was appropriate) .

2 comments:

Walker said...

Sometimes its not what we want to be but what we are meant to do.
You cant change your way of thinking and or caring.
You have to be true to yourself and no stiffle your true place in this world.
Keep up the good work and rock the boat if need be.

Bennu said...

But sometimes I think I am the one that isn't balanced and they will all toss me out, esp. with the BFH.