Monday, August 28, 2006

Right VS Happy

Would you rather be RIGHT?
OR
Would you rather be HAPPY?

There was a time
I was so stubborn
I would argue with a fence post
Just to be right.

I have found out
That I cannot handle
Conflict the way I once could

So now,

Even if I feel like I am right
And the other person is wrong
I concede that we do not agree
And I am welcome to my opinion
And they are welcome to theirs
And we
DON’T have to agree….

I would rather have peace and be happy
Than feel like I am battling with someone

Either someone I love
Or someone I have to work with
Or someone I no longer have in my life.

I remember a time when I could recall
Every detail of what someone did
To piss me off
Or something I thought they had done
To wrong me or hurt me…

I can still do the recalling,
But now I don’t see the point in telling them
Over and over and over

They know it
I don’t have to remind them
I just have to let them know
How it makes me feel
When they chose to do whatever is
Aggravating me
They have the choice of changing
Or not

But at the same time
They can do the same
I don’t want to hurt the people I love
I want to know how they feel

And if I am doing something
That is hurting them
I want to know
So I can choose how to adjust
What I do
Or how I do it.

Example:
Mr. Beamer expressed
That he would like for me
To leave a message
When I call
Rather than just hanging up
When he doesn’t answer the phone

So I do, even though I don’t really want to.
I just say
I am leaving a message
Because you like me to
Just letting you know
I was thinking of you
And wanted to finalize
Blah blah blah plans
Or whatever it is

Not that I call him that much
But one day I called twice
And could tell he was on his cell phone
So I didn’t leave a message.

Not a problem, said it
In a friendly and upbeat voice
And he called me back later.

No big deal, and he appreciated the effort.

So would you rather be RIGHT
Or
Would you rather be HAPPY?

I would rather be happy….

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounding a bit like yoda...but you're right...I mean, you're happy.

Vickie said...

Does it matter in the long run it only appears to be a small compromise in his favor but look what you get in return your happiness.
Such a big payoff. You Rock :)

ljk said...

I liked this post.
Can I be cheeky and say I would be happily right? LOL.

I understand what you mean though. Sometimes, being right feels like crap. Or even when you - well for me, speaking from my experience, there were times when I would have prefered to be wrong...i.e. my instinct told me one thing but I wanted it to be something else, and then I was right and not at all happy...sigh...

my word verification is whataj

I'm thinking...WTF?!!!?

Bennu said...

Muse,

Very clever you are... (yoda speak)

Miss Vickie,
The happier I make him the happier he makes me ;)

Leilana,

Oh yeah the right and happy angle is always good. I, like you, often wish my head was wrong, because it isn't what my heart wants to hear.
very often in fact... or at least in the recent past