Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Futile Lesson in Patience

In early July
I was informed
by certified letter
that my presence was
REQUESTED
on Monday, August 7, 2006
in a courtroom
550 miles from my home

So...

I made plans to be in the area
for a WEEK
so my mom and I
could make a trip
to New Mexico
to shop for some
new jewelry
to go with some I have
and hopefully
have a cool night or two
and some great drives
and talks...

I buy the pricey plane ticket
I call and tell her
that I have made the plans

then she squelches it
saying she didn't want to go
so here I am
with a week just hanging out
which is fine
but a bit disappointing

esp. given how that keeps happening to me

so I had a bad three days
before I went
I felt it was just not going to be
the trip I would want it to be
and the timing
with my classroom calling my name
to work and prepare
so next week won't be so bad

I even made sure I could fly home
on Monday, the 7th
so I could be at work
on the 8th, so my principal
wouldn't look down her nose at me
even though it is an "optional" day
and the official first day is next Monday

RJ took me to the airport
Everything getting there is flawless
and uneventful

my time there, although stressful
at times
is good
seeing family
having good talks with my mom
hiking with my son
(I know I fussed, but really
we had great fun)
and even riding horses

Then... Friday afternoon
the call comes
My son's father informs me
that the court date has been....
CANCELLED
and all is forgotten
and apparently forgiven

So... a week
at home
at the cost of a ticket
the worst possible week of the summer

GREAT....
God is trying to teach me patience
I just know it...

So Monday finally arrives
Mom drives me to the airport
I have had a horrible day
Woke up knowing something was not right
but not sure what it was

I was moody, fussy, and
downright bitchy...

then I walk into the airport
to find
that my flight,
which is suppose to be in
2 hours
is delayed for tw0
more hours...
my connecting flight
will be long gone
so I will have to stay in
DALLAS overnight
and fly out at 6:30 am
on Tuesday and then go
to work
or fly to Austin
but how will I get home from there....

Long Story Short
I begged a ride with a woman
who talked her husband
into driving from SA
to Austin to get her
and her daughters,
so I flew to Austin
from Dallas with them
and then rode home.
Got to bed at 3 am
got up at 6:30 to go to work...

Needless to say, I did drink
3 diet cokes
come on folks the stress was killing me

and all that time in the airports
I had no reading material
(had checked both bags, thinking
I would not lug one around

on the connecting flight in the airport)

So I had a great deal of time
to think about
what the lesson God
could have possibly meant
for me to glean
from this experience

and all I can come up with is
paitience...
since it is really the lesson
I need to learn

but I believe it is futile
but time
time will tell
time heals all wounds
time flies when your having fun
time to go....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patience. It's the seventh virtue of the world, right?

ljk said...

When you learn patience, could you please tell me how to get it.

I am so impatient that it drives me nuts at times.

Bennu said...

That is why it is a Futile lesson in Patience, I may never "get it"