Saturday, December 24, 2005

The Trek Across the State

My mom lives over 500 miles away. This is the first year I have made the drive alone and will again on my way home. I have two grown sons now. AS I DROVE yesterday, I realized that not only was I driving alone for a change but that very soon I would be living alone as well. I haven't lived completely alone since I was a teenager. I believe the last time was in an apartment very similar to the one I am moving into. An upstairs\downstairs, 2 br, built around the 50's... among other things... the difference is the pool, there is a pool to go along with this one.

Another point of interest is that the drive goes much faster when alone. Suppose I had a great deal to think about. Then again, I didn't stop as often and even made a trip 30 miles out of the way to look over the house I own in Tahoka Texas. My renters are moving, and wanting their deposit check back, so I had to look it over before returning their money. It was spotless and looking as it did 4 years ago when I rented it to them. Thankfully, there was no lapse in time before the new renters move in, which will occur next week. I have been very lucky and I am glad. It is hard to rent a place over 400 miles away and know whether you got good renters or not. So, yes, I thought about this and many other things as well.

Upon arriving, my mom had potato soup ready and was baking cookies, yummy cookies. This was quite a surprise, but mainly because until this fall she has not been getting around very well. She is now making herself get out and do things. Apparently it has to do with supplemental insurance telling her they won't cover her due to her COPD, which she has had, and I believe still has, but she goes to the dr. in January and wants him to say she doesn't. I would love to say it is because she wants to be able to come see me and will fly, but after the info on the insurance the puzzle pieces all fell into place.

After soup, I layed down on her bed to watch TV (her tv room) and proceeded to take a nap without trying to. Of course I had started the big drive at 6 am and arrived at 2:30 pm. So, I suppose a good nap was in order.

Upon waking, more soup (homemade food, not passing that up) and cookies, and then discussion of a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond for some new things for my new place. You know, the boring but necessary stuff, dishrack, since I don't have a dishwasher, shower curtain, etc. So that was part of, if not all of my Christmas, as compared to the offer for new chairs to a table I have. I would love to have the chairs, but there are so many little things I feel I need more. My mom doesn't get out and shop much (see health issues above), so Christmas is very different with her these days. She does try to surprise me, since she thinks I am rarely surprised esp. by others and she thinks I need a few surprises.

What she doesn't realize is that I don't like surprises. When they are good ones they are great. Unfortunately, I think I have had more that were unpleasant that wonderful, so I am very leary of them. I cannot hide my feelings, they are written all over my face, so if it isn't something I like, it shows, and then others get their feelings hurt. However, more times than not, it is something I would rather not know/hear/find out even if it is best for me to know/hear/findout.

ex: "I'm married" or "I'm bisexual" or "I'm just not that into you" ...ok, I haven't heard that last one, but I would prefer it to the other two....

Slept all night like a baby, and now am up while mom sleeps. She sleeps in 2-3 hour spurts and is up most of the night and right now is when she sleeps the best.

The trains blowing their horns, the cold wind blowing, the dry air, the lack of anything green, and the red dirt tell me I am home. I miss the trains at times, but that is about it... the red dirt is pretty at the canyons.

Today is Christmas Eve dinner with mom. We are having duck. I can't wait. A few days rest, a great meal or 5, and some quality time with my mom. Life is good.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year too....

No comments: