Saturday, November 12, 2005

Customer from Hell

Yes, boys and girls, I am the customer from hell. I don't try to be, it just turns out that way... I expect service, I expect to get my money's worth, and apparently, I am a tight wad of late... or at least I want to feel like I got what I paid for.
Rick and I had a great breakfast at Gini's in San Antonio today. We had neither one ever been there, but I see the sign every morning on the way to work about how they have the best pancakes in town. I have been having a craving for Magnolia's in Austin, so in this case, advertising did pay. The omelette I wanted was 6.99 for a basic 3 egg omelette, and .50 extra for each item, and of course 1.00 for spinach, so I had that with bacon, onions, and cheese. Subbed a pancake for the bread and had hashbrowns... and as I realized that was what I would get, I told Rick it was a 10 dollar breakfast, but I was going to get it.
He, on the other hand, just wanted french toast and sausage (and I am not a FT fan, but it was to die for).
The point? I have found that when I am out with Rick or Terry, they feel the need to 'fore warn" the wait person that I am "high maintenance" and to "beware"...
NO>>> I just want what I pay for... so if you want a tip, the service should reflect it. And, if I order a 10 dollar omelette, I expect it to be good. It was fantastic by the way... I will go back there, again.

So, for once and for all, here is the scoop... I once waited tables and bartended, and was a cocktail waitress as well... when you serve a cocktail, you should put a beverage napkin down first. Every drink served that should have a garnish has one, not just the first drink. The time to offer them another is when their drink is just about half empty. The customer is always right and you work to make the experience for them a good one.

Terry and I were at a reputable steak restaurant chain last Wednesday, and the bill was about 80 dollars (yes I ate dinner, but we also were drinking to get fizzuphin (Terry swears it's a word in german that means drunk, but I don't know how to spell it, so I don't know if it's true, if you know let me know) and we neither one felt like we could drink enough to get drunk.
LSS< I didn't think he deserved a tip. He was rude, didn't use bevnaps, let me sit there over 10 minutes with an EMPTY glass more than once, didn't give me a fresh straw with each drink and .... and... would not answer my calls using his name. There were less than 8 other customers at the bar...but even when I think some one doesn't deserve a tip, I usually leave 10 percent, which in this case I did.

And, YES< I know how it sounds, but I also know that people in the service industry do not really provide the service that was provided a mere 20 or so years ago. I suppose most people don't expect service either....

I tend to expect more out of people than most people do... and it gets me labeled as high maintenance or the customer from hell. So Be It.

No comments: