Sunday, September 02, 2007

Brand New Day

Once again
my life is my own
and my home
is my own

My son moved out
He was asked to leave
he refused to pick up
after himself
in the smallest of ways

I thought
when I laid down the law
and told him to go
that I would get
an argument

But I didn't

I thought
that when it came
down to the wire
I would tell him
he could stay

but I didn't

I thought
that when he
came back
because his father's
money hadn't arrived yet
to help him out
I might let him stay
til it did arrive

but I didn't

I thought I might
miss him
and the all night hours
of the door opening
and closing, the TV blaring
the car starting
the cigarette smoke
wafting up and in my window
his lurking in the hall as
he went to bed at 4 am
and the door being
unlocked when I got
up in the morning

But I didn't

I thought I might
wake up several times
being spooked
as I am alone in the house
again.

But I didn't

I slept great
over 10 hours
both nights
I feel great
I have been cleaning like
a mad woman
and I am so glad
to have my house
to myself again.

And as for him,
he is glad too, he came by
yesterday
to bring me Chicken Chow Mein
and when he said he didn't have
the money yet and his
roommate wouldn't let him
stay til he did
I gave it to him
and his dad is going to
reimburse me.
We got along better
than when he was here...

We both knew it was time
for him to leave the nest.

But I didn't realize
it was time
for me to have
my own space
just for me
and that I don't really
feel like sharing it.

but now I do.
and it is
a
Brand New Day.

1 comment:

muse said...

You're changing-not so long ago you couldn't stand the idea of being alone! Now you embrace your solitude and you are actually beginning to enjoy your own company.

I wish your son luck-and I wish you the acceptance of knowing this was in the best interests of your sanity and his survival in this world.