Saturday, May 06, 2006

Statistics

Recently in a discussion of why I am so "weird" or different, I was told "If you watched 10 people do the same task, eight of them would do it the same way. Two of them would do it differently, and not necessarily like the other one (of the two) and you are in that two out of ten."

I have thought about this for a good long time.

It makes sense to me.

I mean, people don't understand why I do things the way I do. AND I don't understand why they are so oblivious to the way they do some things.

Here are some of the quirks I have noticed:

I tilt my head to the side to drink out of a straw (but hey, some men find this very sexy and have told me so. They like it and they think it is cute, so I ain't changing that one)

I like to have a bevnap, or beverage napkin for those of you who don't have a restaurant/bar background, under my beverages when I drink at a bar, at a table or anywhere I am going to be sitting at a table and having a drink or dinner.

I like good service and I hate to have a plate sit in front of me when I am finished eating. I want it carted away fairly soon.

I know I am using dining experiences to prove my point, but there are others.

I like a cold diet coke first thing in the morning. I like them cold, poured over ice and with my straw. I like to drink them before I get out of bed, while I am in the shower, and while I drive to work. (if there is an addiction I have, it is to caffeine and diet coke is my vehicle)

I tend to pick my spot at a table based instinctively on my left-handedness. Others who I know, who just happen to be left-handed as well, have pointed out that I take the best seat and leave them to bump their elbows on the wall... well it is better than beating your head against a wall isn't it? oh yeah, they do that too... anyway...

I take my shoes off as soon as I stop for a second in the house and think about it. This could be at the front door, under my desk, by the dining room table, by my bed, or in the bathroom. I hate wearing shoes, and my feet are starting to show the abuse I have inflicted on them for years by going bare foot. I hate wearing shoes all the time.

I like to sit by a pool and dangle my toes in the water, but I don't have to get all the way in.

When on the beach, I am happy to just sit and listen to the waves, or watch the water and wild life. I don't have to be entertained the whole time.

I can sit down at the computer, chat with a friend, read my daily blogs and laugh, read my email, write a blog entry, look at woot.com, pay bills, check cell phone usage or work on school stuff or all of the above and I might be there 20 minutes or like today, nearly 5 hours. It is an escape you know, when I have no other.

I Like to make my day with my 22 charges fun and educational but with just enough love mixed in to make it a great day. I don't like humdrummery and it offends me when others just want to make it through the day. That explains the bitches from hell and why we don't get along. I love what I do, I want to have fun at it, and I want them (my lovely little 5 year olds) to have fun too.

But I think, the thing that makes me one of the 2 out of 10 is that I am honest. If I like you, you know it, and if I don't like you, you know it. I am straight forward, or as RJ would say, I am blunt, I don't beat around the bush. I am loyal to a fault. I treat my friends the way I would want to be treated and sometimes lose friends because they aren't willing to do the same. I don't forget, but I tend to forgive easily and not hold a grudge (even when I want to).

There was a time I would yell and throw fits, but I think that went away with the last husband. I don't have that much fight in me anymore. I was once very clever and conniving (or so the wicked witch of an exhusbands exwife from hell described me) and a multi tasker, but that has gone away. Anymore, I sit and try to not be too reactionary when pissed off (ok, I know I still am, but all I said was that I try) and try to do the right things in the right order, give the benefit of a doubt and be the best that I can be for me.

So, if being the two out of ten means that I can be a better person, friend, confidant, employee, etc. because I do things on a higher level of consciousness and with higher expectations of others ....

then I like those statistics....

No comments: