Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Very New Merry Christmas Eve

My mom and I
decided at Thanksgiving
that I would stay at my house
and she would stay at hers

It was the first Thanksgiving
ever
that was just her and me
and Christmas would be the same
if I had traveled there

My youngest son
spent Thanksgiving alone
and so I felt
I should make Christmas
and the festivities of the holiday season
come alive at my house

Really wanted my mom here
but her health and stubborn-ness
kept her from the trek over the river
and through the woods

Tonight she said it was
the quietest Christmas Eve
she could remember
and tomorrow
she is going to her mother's house
for the first time since I was very little
so many many years

so I feel better that she will be with her mom
and my son will be with his

Today was a glorious Christmas Eve
We drove around after I picked Goober up
and passed out party invitations
for the Mid Holiday's Eve Party
this Saturday
and then we spent hours
making tamales at a friend's house
and then
after making them
we ate them
they were great

Much to my surprise
we were able to bring 4 dozen of them
all different flavors
home to cook and eat at the party

Goober wants to have
Seafood Boil for Christmas dinner
so we stopped by the store
and bought a few groceries
and I gave him 20 bucks
and told him to surprise me
since I didn't know
what Santa would or wouldn't bring

He walked out of the store
with a beautiful Christmas bouquet
of Purple and Green Flowers
perfect for my home
and he knew it

We drove home
and unloaded the groceries
about the time
we shut the door
and locked ourselves in
for the evening
the next door neighbor
rang the door bell

Bennu, oh Bennu
you have two packages
at my house...

What? I ordered a new phone
yesterday morning
but didn't dare think it would be here
already
but it was
a beautiful pink phone
to put in my stocking
from the only Santa I know
or so I thought

The other box was from
Harry and David
You know, the goody boys
and I opened it
and a beautiful box
of yummy treats
and a card that said
someone had ordered them for me
as a gift
and the name was on the outside
of the main box
well, yes
Virginia,
There is a Santa Claus
and he sent me a beautiful box
of great goodies
that made me smile
and ever so happy
that someone was so thoughtful
and wonderful
during a very trying holiday
without my mother here
and without me there

Thank you
and whether you believe or not
God Bless you
A and L
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas
and since you have my address
the party is Saturday night
anytime after 4:30 pm
hope to see you here
but if not
your yummy goodies
will be on the table of goodies to share

Goober and I are sipping divine coffee
watching a movie
and enjoying being with family
I hope you are doing the same

Remember the Christmas Spirit
is the most important gift you have
to give

Happy Holidays

1 comment:

Walker said...

Sounds like a an almost perfect Chrsitmas.
Merry Christmas to you and yours :)