Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Presents

Man, it is dark in here
nd there is so much room
to move around
I hope no one picks me up
I mean
that lady
she sure liked me when she bought me
and she was very clever
she put me in this
long tube

but that girl,
Bennu I think I heard one of the boys call her
she really likes peeking at her presents
I think she is overly curious
and excited
about Christmas in general
but her presents especially

she keeps talking about how much she wants
a twirling baton
and how she thinks the girls that twirl
with the highschool band
are so pretty and talented
and she wants to be just like them
Her brothers tease her unmercifully

I would love to slide out of this tunnel-like
container and Whomp one of them
upside the head
but that would seem pretty weird to them I bet


the saleslady at the store told Bennu's mom
that I am really sought after by little girls
Bennu's age
so I am really looking forward to helping Bennu
to be whatever she wants to be
and protecting her

I have only been under this tree
a day or so
and I still can't remember how long
it is until Christmas morning
and we are all
sprung from our confines
and back out into the world

Man, I hope she likes me
and I get to go outside often
with Bennu
to school
to a game
wherever she wants to take me

oh sshhhhhhhhhhhhh
(in a whisper)
there she is again, sitting by me
looking at her other gifts
and carefully un-taping them
and peeking at what her parents bought her
and
oh oh
she is picking me up
she is looking at the ends of the tube
oh it sounds like she is peeling the tape off
and
oh
I can see light
and she is looking in
oh
oh
oh
no
she doesn't look happy
she looks very disappointed
she didn't even pull me out of the tube

her mom thought she would just love me
that is what she told the saleslady

Now it is dark again
she taped the end cover back down
and set me down in a hurry
I think I heard her mumbling
something about me
I am not sure what she said
but I do know I heard
my name
Mickey Mouse Umbrella
in what she mumbled

I hope she likes me anyway
even though I am not a baton
and she was mumbling something
about really wanting a baton
and not getting it...

maybe on Christmas morning
she will be happier
to see me

right now I think I will sleep
awhile
all this excitement has made me tired

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzz
zzzz
zzz
zz
z

yawn... finally!
it is finally Christmas morning
I heard the adults putting more gifts
under the tree
it woke me up
but I am still the most unusual package
every thing else is in a box
or sitting out
for all to see

oh and there is Bennu
holding me up
and shaking me

now she is telling them
how she wonders what I am
why would she do that?
she already knows what I am
now she is taking
the end of the tube off
and taking me out
hey
she is smiling
and she is thanking them
over and over
and telling them
she loves me
she really loves me
she opens me up
to full size and stands up
holding me over her head
looking through my clear skin
and commenting on the
pictures around the edges
of Mickey and Minnie
and the other characters
oh..
that hurts
she isn't very good at closing me
but that will come with time.
Whew
I am glad she set me down
now I can rest from all the excitement
and watch her open everything else.

Funny, I heard her talking
constantly proclaiming how she
really wanted
a baton
for Christmas
but I never saw her open one...
oh well
at least when it rains
she will take me with her
wherever she goes
and we will have a great time together.

1 comment:

muse said...

I had forgotten that story...it is sad. I hope this holiday season there are fewer disappointments and it is full of hope and promise.

Poignant perspective!