Sunday, July 02, 2006

Playing Games

This post is a tribute to my oldest son
whose nickname is Gavin

When he was 4 years old, his daddy,
newly divorced from me,
bought him the newest electronic game system for Christmas
Super Ninetendo
and the game that game with it
Super Mario World

My mother, for his birthday,
in January
bought him the book
You know,
The Insiders Secrets books
to Super Mario World

Now, the child was 5, just turned 5

He learned from looking at the pictures in the book
how to find all the hidden keys and passages

I would play it with him, but he was too good for me
My mom would play it with him, but he was too good for her

For Halloween the following year,
He dressed up as Mario
Complete with red cape and overalls
His little brother dressed up as Luigi
Complete with yellow cape
(my mom made both capes and I still have them)

And that is how it all began.

Next thing I know, he is a teenager
looking for a cool game to play with friends
so I turn him onto a game I played as a teenager
It has known to have controversy, but it is really harmless
Dungeons and Dragons
He finds a way to play it online,
interactively,
it turns to other games online
he is always on the computer
he is taking computer classes at school
he gets his first job working at a local computer shop
as a technician

then he decides he wants to be in Seattle
to go to school
to have a chance at a job in the computer field

He went in March,
He totaled the car I gave him for graduation in the first week
Then he found a place to live
Then he found a job
making sandwiches at Subway
Unfortunately, he is not a multitasker,
and he lost that job

When God closes a door, he opens a window
He found a cheap car and bought it
He got a job.... a good job,
An appropriate job...

He is working for


Ninetendo

making Ten Bucks an hour

testing Video Games....


And it all started when he was 4
and with a book that he used to teach himself

I am so proud of him...

I know it will lead to other things and that he will still go to school,
and I never thought I would be saying

My son makes a living playing video games

(yes, I did make them all play in moderation, until he was bigger than me and was taking care of his business around the house and at school, then I let him regulate it)

A proud mama moment, brought to you by Bennu.

1 comment:

Walker said...

As a kid I used to work at the local arcade.
My job was to play the macjines to see if they were to easy or to hard.
Every Saturday when I was 10 I went over and he gave me a roll of nicles and for 8 hours I was lost in the machine,
Are they still hiring I have experience LOL