Monday, May 05, 2008

Rods or Rides

I am a Texan
through and through
I have the accent to prove it

When I moved to South Texas
From the far Northern Corner
I was told I had a different accent
not necessarily Texan
and I was offended

It damn sure is Texan

When I met the muse
she teased me about talking slow
and asking her to repeat things
because she was talking fast

For a long time
I didn't see what they were talking about
I didn't think it was that big of a deal
I mean,
I thought they thought I wasn't
Texan enough
because I didn't have a Spanish accent
(I know... but it is true)

anyway
Tater makes loving fun
of my accent and how sexy he thinks it is
and since I have spent most
of the last two months
at my moms

Muse witnessed first hand
when she came with me
on the first trip
that I came by my accent
honestly
and that many people here
have a thicker one than I do

and when I went back
to the hill country
she teased me
that I needed to talk faster
I wasn't in the panhandle anymore

Tater teases me
that I slip right back into my accent
when I am 550 miles north
because today I was explaining
that there are rides at an event
we were discussing
like a Ferris Wheel
but until I said Ferris Wheel
he didn't understand what I was saying
because he was hearing
They have "rods" at Wurstfest
like a Ferris Wheel and the Tilt-a-Whirl
which are my two favorites...

and I thought they were just
plain silly
I don't see it
or hear it
but then this morning
I was in the kitchen
making biscuits
for the first time in my life
(I refused to make them as long
as my mom could, so now I have to,
and they were great for a first batch esp.)
and I was talking to Ya
and she said
"I can't understand you when you talk so fast"

and I busted out laughing
so I guess
I talk too fast for Northern Texans
and too slow and with a drawl
for the Hill Country Texans

or then again
maybe I just have a sexy Texan Accent!!!
that is hard to pinpoint the location of origin

1 comment:

muse said...

Well, all I have to say is...you better lose the drawl before we pull up to our favorite watering hole...we speak hill country here!