Thursday, September 28, 2006

Crystal Balls

Over ten years ago
I had an opportunity
to go to a Gem and Mineral Show
in a small West Texas Town
It was a geologist's dream
Wonderful specimens all around
and jewelers
making wonderful jewelry
out of wonderful stones from the earth.

I purchased two of my most favored
possessions while at this show
they were both pendants
to hang on silver chains

One was a rose quartz obelisk
that I treasure but rarely wear
but I wish I did

The other was a Quartz Crystal Ball
A man made from russia
crystal ball about the size of a quarter
only a sphere

I wear it often
or I did
until I lost it

and every year when I teach shapes
I would wear it and use it as part
of my space shapes or
3D shapes lessons

I haven't been able to find it for months
I miss it terribly

and there have been days I have cried over it

I know it is silly
I have thought of things
that were greater losses
for me
and for others

but there are things
in all our lives
that we miss

and we wish we could have back
just for a little while
some for just 5 minutes
to say things we wish we had said
some for that last hug
or that "one more time"
no matter what it was

a wearing of a dress

a dance with our favorite partner

a hug and a kiss goodbye and
a chance to say I love you
to a lost loved one

and it is the same with me

I have turned the house upside down
and it just isn't here

I know the last time I wore it
I remember it well

and I am glad to have that memory
and others
of other things.

But life does go on.
While the Muse and I were at the coast

I made a decision
to find a replacement

I know I will not find a pendant
ever again, like the perfect Quartz Crystal Ball

so I stopped at my favorite stained glass shop
and picked up some Witches Balls

That's right.

You hang them in your window
and the bad spirits are caught in them
so they can't inhabit your home

much like a Dream Catcher

I know I will hang them in the East Window
to catch the light
and I am thrilled to have them

just as I am sure they will be the starters
of a new collection of mine

and even though I have them
they are in no way
a replacement
for the pendant I lost
and wish I could have back

but they do ease the pain a bit
and they do bring a smile

and hopefully they are
a sign of good things to come.

At least I want to think that
so I will.

Ha, and you thought this drunken post was going to involve sex...
or pictures of me in my VS goodies... nanar nanar nanar

hee hee
sometimes, you can't say anything
even when you want to
you have to wait to be asked
so I am waiting.

4 comments:

ljk said...

I could use a crystal ball now. I am expecting that email...that is worst than the post it note.

It's just a feeling I've had for the past few days. Rather than be positive and optimistic and set myself up, I'm leaning towards being realistic and practical.

But I am still somewhat sad, and dreading having to deal with it.

Bennu said...

man... I hate it when that happens... chin up, it will be ok, the sadness will wane.

ljk said...

Thanks Bennu. It's the waiting that is the worst I think. There's nothing concrete, but it doesn't feel right. Ergo...I might as well expect it and get it over with quickly. :-)

ljk said...

It came some 18 hours after we spoke. I replied. He replied. I said this is no way to go about this. I called him and we talked.

I told him I wasn't prepared to do this now, and it was uncomfortable to tell him how I felt.

Bottom line - I didn't think a long term long distance relationship was viable. But I wanted a relationship and had been thinking of moving closer to him.

He didn't know that and said it took him completely by surprise and he didn't know what to say.

I said you think about it and we can talk later.

If the LDR ends, that's ok. I did not like knowing that he made that decision without asking me what I wanted and instead assumed that I was happy to have a LDR long term.

If he still wants to end it, then at least I know and he knows where we both stood or stand.