Thursday, July 10, 2008

Showing You

My back was aching
feet dangling off the bed
back against a pillow
leaning back into the wall
laptop in hand
tv blaring in the background
eyes drooping
moody, glad the day is over
vegging out
after writing all day

tingling bells
jingle bells
rang out
the familiar sound of the front door opening

hellooooo?
I called

silence

HELLLLOOOOO?
my voice lounder
and more forceful
but with a bit of a question

silence


GOOOBER?
hoping my youngest son
had come in the door

silence

I reluctantly
set the laptop aside
and slide off the bed
peering down the stairs
with a bit of trepidation

questioning my sanity
and my hearing
was it really the door bells?
what could it have been instead?
Could someone be lurking downstairs?
mind racing with all possible scenarios
my foot slowly eases down a step
followed by the other one
looking
and moving slowly
upon reaching the landing
my eyes scan the living room
no body
standing, walking or sitting
anywhere in the room
everything seems to be
where I left it
wait,
there on the door
on the inside
something
that wasn't there
when I lumbered in earlier
tired enough to go to slee
a white rectangular
sheet
taped to the door
stepping up my pace
I made a beeline to the entrance

After whipping the paper off the door
my eyes focused on it's content
My dazed mind
woke up quickly
when I realized
it was a notice
alerting me to the idea
and realization
that I would be moving
yes, moving, in less than a month
My thoughts moved toward
remembering what the ending date
of my lease might be
hmmm yes indeed
the day had passed
and they are as happy for me to leave
as I am to have the opportunity to

so... home hunting is my
my new hobby

.....more to come

No comments: