Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Intuition

Going through the Process
Sucks
The process of a job hunt
The process of a house hunt
The process of filling out an application
for a job
or a place to live
Last Wednesday
I arrived at the home of a lovely lady
who was taking care of the application
and leasing of the condo of my dreams
Gray hair, wobbly walk,
no patience for cell phones,
much less computers
she is half way between my mom's age
and my grandmothers...
mid 80's
don't be fooled
she is as sharp as a tack
I sat down on a deep burgandy sofa
with her life history all around me
family photos and portraits on the mantle
blue chair and table
her husband's love corner
since his passing
polite friendly chatting
as I sat and wrote down
all my information
the air cut by the shrill ring
of a traditional land line phone
the condo manager's voice
booming from the other end
of the line

Is the condo rented yet?
he inquired

Well, yes...
she replied with trepidation
someone is here right now filling out the application

another question or two and then they hung up.

I was nervous when I left
not knowing how well I would
check out

remembering how I am always
nervous after filling out a housing ap
no matter where it is

my new gray haired friend
assured me I would know something
by Friday at noon
Thursday I was a wreck
but I tried to hide it
and time went quickly until 1 pm
class with new team members
friendly lunch and getting to know each other
driving to the Muse's house
to visit before her big trips out of town
for over a week

but in between lunch
and the muse
I asked two men
to do me a favor

please call
please call and find out
if the condo is still available

thinking that if my application
was not good enough
they would say it was

both did not want to call
thought me silly
oh you will get it
they both retorted
one did call
but he was flustered
not a good sleuth at all
and the right questions were not asked

so back to wondering
what would happen
worrying I wouldn't get the place
of my dreams
and the angst kicked in
by Friday
it was at full steam
the muse understood
she said the right things
she didn't try to reassure me
that I was being silly and the place was mine
she just changed the subject and
kept my mind off it
as best she could
and she understood my mood
and didn't take it personally
Friday evening came
and the phone rang
as you know
the place is now mine

Monday I drove over
to sign official papers
and my new friend
who is old and wise
informed me
It was a good thing
I filled out the ap
when I did
two others were waiting
to do the same
wanting the same place

AHA....
so there was a reason
I felt such angst
it could have gone
another way
for someone else
and I would not have had
the chance to have
the perfect place....

see... women do have
intuition

and the nicest thing I can say
about the two men
who just didn't
GET IT
is....

Men don't have
Intuition

2 comments:

travistee said...

Congrats to you! I went through this process in December and it was nerve-wracking.

Walker said...

WE just don;t care if we get it, we could live in a cardboard box as long as we have a remote HA HA HA

congrats on the new digs