Saturday, July 12, 2008

A List Full and More

Last February I told them
I told them
I wanted to move
I wanted to move right then
but I said I would be moving
when my lease was up
in the summer

and then so much happened

moving my workspace
and all that filled it
and storing it here
and there

note appearing
words informing
the term was over
and notice was given
so the time had come
to find another space
to inhabit

panic set it
I looked in the paper
found two prospective homes
called, drove, inspected
one had tons of space
wood floors (that leaned)
huge kitchen (ancient cabinets
but not many of them)
large bathroom (with original
fixtures from a long time passed)
the drawbacks were:
Price
location
window ac units

the second one had
wood floors in great shape
friendly landlord living on property
style and construction I love
updated wiring
custom painted walls (not white, but neutral)
Cute Cute Cute
Clean Clean Clean
great price that included
wireless internet
and cable

the downfalls were
no washer dryer hookups
no pool
no patio
window ac units
no heater

but I loved it
and normally would have
jumped at the chance to have it
but I refrained

it was a day before a planned trip home
for the 4th of July

so contemplation

search continued
when returning home
trip over and fireworks extinguished

disappointment set in
apt. hunters exclaimed
too many wants
can't all be filled

a prioritized list ensued

space with storage
for all the school stuff

ground floor preferable
(mom friendly)

washer/dryer hookups
so I can keep my quarters

Central Heat and air
for comforts sake
on me and my pocket book

Patio or yard
large enough for the big chair
and other yard furniture

Wood Floors
(I love them)

Pool
(really the number 1 on the list)

things that would be nice:

dishwasher

washer and dryer provided

two full bathrooms

fireplace

second floor to make me feel secure
(hard to do without stairs)

disposal

pantry

entry way, not a door opening up to the whole room


calling and searching
reading and writing
calling some more
talking to people
waiting for calls
reading the paper
the muse calling with prospects
RJ offering financial suggestions

finally a
CONDO
with security

a gated place
that most people own
a second floor condo
with no stairs
on a hill
covered parking
entry way
and all the above
a patio that wraps around
a south view
the end of the building
so comfy and cool
room for everything
and overlooking the pool
with waterfall soothing
as you stand among the trees

and I loved it immediately
so the process began

calling and wanting
and filling out forms
talking, chatting, being friendly
waiting for answers
nail biting
voice edgy
demeanor unruly
as fear filled my head

panicky looking
reading for more
what if it can't be mine
is there another out there
with all on my list?

driving to chat
looking, just that
no, it is big, but the floors lean
there is but one tub,
the yard will be work
there are bars on the windows
and hardly any locks on the doors
it has character
and charm of a time
that has passed
one time I would loved it
and taken it right away
now i just see the work it would be
cold in the winter
hot in the summer
window units sucking away
my sanity and my money

then an apt. claiming a yard
the rooms seemed cramped
the yard a joke
the noise from the highway
choking my brain

oh... I wished they would call
and tell me I made it
my dream home await
nothing else comes close

finally, a ring,
finally, a voice,
yes, yes, yes, it is yours

elation
smiles
relief
air is let out
from it's prison of angst

I can smile
I can smirk
I can go berzerk
I got it
I have it
I am so glad about it

you are all welcomed over
to warm it all up
in fact if you want
you can help carry a box
or a mattress
or dresser
or whatever you like

and now I passed through the door
having gone down the hall
a better place for me
A List Full and More

No comments: