Thursday, April 06, 2006

This One's for you Daddy

Today is the anniversary of my Daddy's death. He left this world 21 years ago today.

He

spoiled me

one Christmas, I wanted a fake tree instead of a real one... I was less than 10, but I had it in my head that was what I wanted. We couldn't afford a real one, much less a fake one, and I didn't know that until I thought about it many years later. We had a real tree and I had many many presents under the tree.

teased me

He had a toad one day. I was about 7, so it looked like a huge toad. I wanted the toad, so he made me a deal. I had a huge jar (f0r a 7 year old) of pennies and I gladly traded it. The next day the toad died. I am sure now I held it too long or too tight, but at the time I felt cheated... I wanted my pennies back, but Daddy said he wasn't going to trade back for a dead toad, he didn't need a dead toad.
I wish I could have asked him what he would do with a live toad, but I didn't think of it.

taught me silly things

You know the signs on the road that are yellow with a black bending arrows, some curve one way, some curve the other and some curve both ways, signaling a curves on the road? Daddy told me they mean for drivers to watch out for snakes. I told people that until I was a teenager and about driving age. So, what? are you thinking I am gullible? yes I am.


brought me cool stuff from his travels as an engineer for the railroad

autographed pictures of the Harlem Globetrotters
comic books he exchanged everytime he went to Sweetwater
something chocolate

and he loved me almost as much I loved him.

Unfortunately, he was an alcoholic who refused to stop drinking. and ended up drinking himself to death. He was selfish and suffered from low self esteem... thank goodness I didn't see those traits until right before he died.

Some years the anniversary comes and goes and then I remember about a week or so later. Some times I find I have a hard time for weeks before and after.
This year, I didn't realize until this morning while writing the date on 22 certificates for our awards ceremony this morning.

ATS has definitely had my mind pre0ccupied, and it is a good thing.

1 comment:

Le laquet said...

Oh my dear Bennu, my dad is an alcoholic but luckily for me has been dry alsmost 12 years; I don't think that it's they refuse to give up the "sauce" it's just that they have to go to their lowest ebb before they realise how bad things truly are. Of course our idea of their lowest point and their's are always miles apart! Thinking of you today :o)