Sunday, October 28, 2007

Spooky Loo

I really like Halloween



When I was little

I remember my mother

was mad at me

on one particular Halloween

I was in the bathtub

and we were getting ready

to go to a carnival

or to trick or treat

that part I am not sure of

I have childhood memories

in bits and pieces



anyway

she threatened to not let me

wear my "pixie" costume

(I am not sure it was a pixie,

it might have been a ballerina,

or something else that is

completely out of character for me)

if I didn't "blah blah blah"

but she was standing there

ironing it

after I got out of the tub and went

into her room



I remember the fear

and hurt

of possibly not going

wherever we were going

I wanted to go

I wanted to wear my costume

I wanted to have

the bejeebies scared out of me

I wanted to get candy

I wanted to see all the others dressed up



and I do think I went,

but I don't remember that one night

imparticular



I remember my dad carving a pumpkin

with me, for me,

and I took it to school.

It was first or second grade

and as I was carrying it

six blocks home

a friend offered to carry it for me

It was heavy for me

and I let her

and she dropped it

and it broke apart...

right around the middle
where the mouth was
and I cried,
I mean I cried so hard
and so long that I still remember it

and all I remember is that
My Daddy
my daddy fixed it
He used toothpicks
and made my jackolantern
better than it was to begin with.

The school I went to
had a Halloween Carnival
and in one classroom
they were showing
Halloween film strips
of the Three Stooges
who were my favorite as a child.
I can still remember parts of it.
There were games
and Bobbing for Apples
which you won't see again
ever
It was great
I have been to carnivals
helped run carnivals
and I still think the ones
at Roscoe Willson Elementary
were the best

My mom always made popcorn balls
to give out to trick or treaters
back when you could have home made treats
that were the best.

One year, my brothers
and a bunch of their friends
had heard a noise in a back yard
several blocks from our house
they thought there was an
Elephant in the yard
and it was dark
but it sounded like
an elephant trumpeting
and my mom let me
ride my bike
at the young age of 6
with a bunch of neighborhood boys
to a house several blocks away
in the dark
on or near Halloween+
and it was
so exciting
and scary
and we rode
and rode
and rode
and we got there
and heard the "elephant" calling
and the boys weren't very tall
and the fence was

they guys were all whooping
and hollering
and full of themselves
Then one of them
made it up over the fence
and saw what was trumpeting
It was a squeaky windmill
and no elephant
but it was
an exciting evening

Right after second grade
we moved out into the country
and there was no real trick or treating
to be done
When I was a teenager
we drove into town
and went trick or treating
with our pillow case bags
but we did all dress up

I have always loved haunted houses
and costume parties
and carnivals

In my early twenties
and the
Rocky Horror Picture Show
became a great night
in the theater
with dressing up
and props
and a carnival feel
I have seen it
over 50 times

Over the years
I have gone to parties
haunted houses
dance clubs that had costume contests

and have great memories of all of them.

I have had a great time celebrating this year
A club night out on Friday
A costume party on Saturday
The haunted house is scheduled for tomorrow night
and after giving out candy on Halloween
I will go to the RHPS (see above)
with the muse

I hope my ability to really enjoy
Halloween and it's
MAGIC
doesn't end anytime soon....

and what was I for the costume party?

A very sexy witch
complete with fishnet stockings
lace spider web gloves with the fingers cut off
high heeled boots
and hat with black feathers around the edge.
and I have the pictures to prove it.

Happy Halloween!!!!
Have Fun Trick or Treating!!!

No comments: