Saturday, January 26, 2008

Birthday Party (s) and Gifts

When I was 13
My mother finally agreed
that I could have
a Birthday Slumber Party

looking back
as an adult
I know why she would be
in the most modest terms
HESITANT
to let me have one
but that is not the point of this story

So I asked everyone
I mean everyone
that I even remotely talked to
played basketball with
or could even stand
and of those dozen or so
only 2 would actually show up
and they weren't even
the ones I would have considered
my closest friends
I don't remember much about it
other than it was odd
and awkward
and we had mediocre fun
my mother had peanut m&m's
she cooked dinner,
there was a cake
not really any thing way out there
we just hung out and played
I don't think either of them really brought me
a birthday gift
if they did
I don't remember
but that was ok



Funny how things don't change much
The muse and Pepper
got together and planned
a birthday bash
that from the beginning I knew
would be an intimate group
of friends from the Big V
to celebrate my birthday
we had coconut rum
and Hot Damn
and some music to dance to
and I had on my new dancing boots
We told stories,
We laughed,
We drank shots
We played phone tag
Nothing out of the ordinary
and yet we had fun
I did not drive
and I stayed over at the muse's
for safe keeping
taking the following day off work
and boy was I glad I did...

Pepper brought me a big Bottle
of Hot Damn
to go along with our ongoing joke
of
Bring Your Big Bottle to the Party
which is sort of like
Where is Your "A" game?

The Muse gave me two charms
for my charm bracelet
that are great beach reminders
one is a pair of sunglasses
and the other is a flip flop
She also baked my favorite cake
the one from the
Having My Cake and Eating it Too
post on Bennu Too
and it is as good as it ever was
and both gave me great cards

and the three days after my birthday
have just gotten better and better

The evening after the party
I went out with the doctor
for a little Artsy Fartsy gallery opening
and then to dinner
I had told him
what I wanted for my birthday
when he had asked
point blank
that I would like some time
not evening time
at a movie, listening to live music,
or a fine dinner out,
I knew he could do those things well
but a day out
driving, walking, hiking
whatever
in the sunshine
and if he felt the need
to give me something more
it could be something small

well, after we ordered dinner
he had me open the gift bag
which held
some prized chocolate
like Walker sent me for Christmas
some perfume that he liked
and a gorgeous
5 strand fresh water pearl necklace
that is a choker of sorts

I mean, it is a short necklace
but it also choked me up
I cried
I was so thrilled to have it
It is beautiful.
Man, I was on cloud nine
the next day
just thanking him for it
after dinner,
on the phone the next morning
and twice since then
and that doesn't seem to be enough
to say thank you
and it was so unexpected
and him responding that I deserve it.
It makes me teary just writing about it.

Then Friday, the hippie came by
after he had already brought
coral roses for me
on my birthday
to work (yes a full dozen)
and gave me a gift
he couldn't stay
I was on my way out
as well
and he said he didn't need to see me open it
so I refrained
and after I opened it
I so regretted
him not seeing
how thrilled I was

You see
I didn't realize how much time
we have actually spent together
but when I opened it
and saw several small envelopes
some liquid bath soap
and an oven mitt (explain later)
and then started reading
each small card
in each envelope
as they were numbered
which to read first
and which to read last
I realized we had spent
a great deal of time together

He had gift cards for me
for
Starbucks- the place we first met
the burger joint we ate at one evening
the car wash where we met to leave my car
and went to eat while it was washed
PeiWei- the new one near my home, that we had lunch at one weekend
The Italian Place we met
for a light dinner and great conversation
and the very smansy pantsy
steak house that is a woman's name
was the last one
but that isn't what was so great about the gift
what was so great
was that he wrote lovely little notes
with each one
and his memory of our time there
giving me insight into what he was seeing in me
and the last one
that was the high dollar steak place
was the first real date we had
and he wanted me to join him there
regardless of who I spent the others with
for a great dinner sometime in the future

the shower soap, which is the joke it took
the longest for me to get
was because
on not one
but at least 4 occasions
he has called while I was in the shower

the oven mitt had a typed note
with a long winded double entendre
involving a potato
and the game Hot Potato
and it is hilarious
and you know
nothing impresses me more
than a man who is good with words
so his new nick name
is
TATER

It was the most thoughtful gift I have ever gotten from a man
EVER

Then Friday I drove south
to see Mr. Duvall
and have my other
Birthday Party
which was just what I thought it would be...

Wonderful
and he got me
a King sized bed to roll around in
with him...
another great
slumber party

It has definitely been
a banner year
as far as my birthday was concerned
and
three great men

as opposed
to the last couple
of years...

It has been grand...

and next week
is the Muse's birthday...

hee hee hee hee hee
just you wait...

2 comments:

muse said...

I hope the rest of your year makes you as happy as this week has.

Walker said...

You got a harem LOL

You deserve some good times for a change so live it up and enjoy life