Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Just Call Me Susie

I admit it
I have a horrible addiction
It is expensive
It is complicated
I catch hell from all around me
about spending my hard earned money
that I don't have
because I am not on the
Dave Ramsey Plan
on my addiction

I admit it

Hello, My name is Susie
and I am addicted to Starbucks

Today, I just had to have it
my sweet,
complicated
caffeine laced
coffee
with more cream
sugar
and flavorings
than any real coffee drinker
could ever even sniff
much less drink

so I pull up to the drive in window
where many a morning
I rattle off
my complicated drink
in size, flavor, extra shots
and whole milk (they use 2 percent,
which is good, but if I order whole milk
it is done up very fresh and very hot
and is, of course, richer)

and I expect the barrista
to rattle it back incorrectly
as more times than not
this is the norm,
not the exception
only
today,
today I get a very bright
up and coming barista
that I assure you
will aspire to bigger and better
shot tending
very soon
it happens every time
a good one comes along at this
particular Starbucks

and she rattles it back
perfectly
and I smile
and say
YES, Exactly
that was great
and then she asks my name
and I tell her
and then she asks me to repeat
and I do
and she says
Ok, SUSIE, please pull up to the window

I laughed my ass off
she got my name completely
wrong
but my coffee
was
perfectamundo
so
you can call me Susie
anytime,
as long as you get
my fucking coffee
wonderfully correct

esp. early in the morning
when I really need to wake up

1 comment:

muse said...

We all have those monkeys-Let me count how many are in my barrel.

It is an expensive addiction...but look at it this way...it could be cigs and beer that would be more expensive and both will kill you faster than Starbucks.

The phrase that sticks with me when I think I want starbucks..."am I drinking my retirement?"