Friday, August 10, 2007

Wonders Never Cease

Last Saturday
RJ called
sometimes we go to breakfast
on the weekends
and visit about
our lives
and the people in them

This last Saturday
was very much the same
until we are going to his truck
after breakfast
and he says
Oh
I need to get a gift
for (his girlfriend) and
I would like you to go along
to pick it out

Oh... I think, ok
I know a little about her
so I can help some
but he is so good at gifts
why does he need me?

but I say

Ok great, where would you like to go?
And it is a Texas Based Jewelry store
and he is getting an ankle bracelet
because she has been hinting at one

so we pick out a pendant,
he wants to get the earrings
that match it,
we wait our turn until
a salesperson can talk to us
about the chain
because we don't know
exactly how long it should be

He calls his daughter
who is about as petite
as his girlfriend
to get her to measure her ankle
She is
as I am
Math challenged

so she follows his directions
and gets out the metal measuring taped
and puts it around her ankle
and says
it is 3 and a half inches
he repeats it out loud
and I think
I may be math challenged
but I don't think that is right
I have an idea
that my big finger is 3 to 4 inches long
and if I bend it,
that would be the measurement
and if she is that thin
she is starving in Africa

so then we figure out
that there is a "lead" to where
the tape starts measuring
but we are still guessing
Now it is our turn
so the saleswoman
gets the chain out for us
and it is beautiful
and I am standing there
thinking

you know
I could have had this man
at one time
and look what I gave up
he truly is a gem
and I am so glad that she has him
and that he is still my friend

and we were talking about how
he was going to send the gift
with some flowers
to her on her birthday
in August
and the saleswoman asks
if he would like them wrapped
and he says no
and turns and tells me
that he thinks he will
just find a way to hang them
on the flowers or the ribbon
and that idea blew me away
what a good idea
but I said
well you are going to send her flowers
on the first day of school too aren't you?

and he said "of course, I have already got
that one planned"

and I had to walk away...
I am so proud to have a man
even as a friend
who is so thoughtful
and never ceases to amaze me
even after knowing him
over 2 and a half years
I hope he never ceases to amaze her
after 50 years...

see... there are wonderful men out there...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ma'am, but I'm really more of a rough cut stone than a gem.
R