Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Celebrate

When I was a senior in high school and delivering flowers (mostly poinsettias) at Christmas time for the local florist, Lionel Richie came out with a new song, Celebrate. I remember it vividly, and I heard it on the radio today, and as always, I can feel the cold crisp air, the waning sun, feel the delivery vehicle beneath me, see the smiles of the people I brought flowers or plants to, and I remember my first consumated love affair. It is a bittersweet memory. He broke up with me on my 18th birthday. He broke my heart and I think I felt it for over 5 years after that.

One evening earlier in the week, there was a new sitcom on, I believe it was "How I met your mother" or something like that. The jest of the whole show was that you don't break up with someone on their birthday, and certainly not over the phone.... well, I will give Paul credit where credit is due, he did have the guts, eventually, to break up with me in person, but it was, and still is, the worse birthday I have ever had. But, hey, at least I was old enough, and it was legal at 18 then, to go out and drink if I wanted to... but if I recall, I didn't go out drinking.

Funny how one thought leads to another isn't it?

Celebrate good times come on, let's celebrate... well I like the saying, "God said Celebrate, not celibate"....lol, it is a line from an obscure movie with Shirley McClaine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I like you blog.
Can I stay and visit a little
My ex- who I still love a boyfriend told me today that he has someone he considers a girlfriend and he's ready to do the right thing by her - the things I asked about but he didn't want to do.

I'm so sad and I just need to be able to say that. I am being supportive and wishing him well because there's really no anger after all this time.

just sadness.

we will probably not have much contact.

i just read this and thought, I want to just visit a little