Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Week of Thanks

Most holidays I travel home
not what I consider home now
but the home my mother lives in
in the town I graduated
from high school
and college

This holiday is no different
and yet
it is completely different

I have started flying
instead of driving
since I am now traveling alone

so I flew in on Monday
and am flying out on Friday

My flight in is the first time
there was no issue
with catching a flight
changing planes in Big D
and arriving not just on time
but early

My appetite
has finally returned
now I am not so sure
I should be thankful for that
I was enjoying my shrinking waist
but at the same time
jello, gatorade, and chicken broth
were getting a little old
so
with my new appetite
and the fact

that I cooked everything while I was here
except the dressing and gravy
for Turkey Day
it was good that I had an appetite

My youngest son
came home from his
door to door sales job
all over the midwest
broke
so thin he was emaciated
and sick
but he is now here
he drove up
from San Antonio
and despite the fact I spent all
not most or
some
but

All my savings getting him
on the road to recovery
and to finding a better job
and a place to live

but I am thankful he was here
to eat with us
and the fact he is going to be
safe
and 500 miles away
finding his way in the world

We had wonderful meals
the first day here
I fried green tomatoes and yellow squash
to go with friend pork chops and gravy
Last night
we had a seafood boil with seafood
I sent up with my son
in a cooler
and watermelon for dessert
today

well we had a somewhat traditional feast
Teriyaki Turkey (I marinated it)
Dressing
gravy
Sweet potatoe casserole (fresh yams)
fresh cut green beans
Fresh Cranberry Relish (yes, fresh with oranges and sugar)
Rolls
Rice with Teriyaki gravy (only way I know to describe it)
Pink Fuzzy Jumpin' Stuff (family tradition fruit jello salad)
Pumpkin Pie - two, each made from a different recipe (yes, testing recipes)
Homemade whipped cream
Fancy Banana Pudding (really killer recipe, not your normal nanar puddin')

and most of it was done by me
I washed dishes numerous times each day
I cooked and cleaned and cooked and cleaned
and
at the end of the day
my mom paid me a great compliment
(and if you haven't figured it out by now,
those are few and far between from her)
she said
I am a great cook

I am thankful that we had great food
that she appreciated the food
I am thankful that we had a great week

We talked
we played scrabble
we ate
I cooked
I cleaned
and I spent good time
with my mom
and my son.

and I am thankful
that I am going home tomorrow.

When I sat back and thought about it
there are many things
that disappointed me
this year,
really disappointed me

my life is going in the direction
that I thought it would
and I am not particularly
enjoying the way it is going
in my love life
or my work life
but in my immediate family life
it is going very well
and perhaps
that is what I should be focusing on
and it is what I am so very thankful for.

I hope you have had a chance to enjoy your family
and that you have many things to be thankful for.

I just want to say
Happy Turkey Day!!!!

No comments: